Dental therapists are highly trained and skilled dental clinicians that perform all areas of children’s dentistry. Here at Mittagong Dental Care we offer a comprehensive range of services to children and their families.
Although our main role involves disease prevention and dental care, our interest is child welfare. As such, we are able to organise referrals to medical and allied health specialists to address the needs that children face early in life.
- Dental therapists trained specifically for children’s dentistry
- Cleans and fluoride therapy
- Orthodontic assessment and referrals
- Sports mouth guards
- Dietary advice and prevention
- Oral Hygiene advice and tooth brushing instruction
- Emergencies and tooth aches
- We accept the new government Children’s Dental Benefit Scheme (CDBS or GUS) vouchers also.
What to expect during your comprehensive examination.
During the examination, your dentist or dental therapist will check all of your child’s existing teeth for decay, examine your child’s bite, and look for any potential problems with the gums, jaw, and oral tissues. He or she will also educate parents about oral health care basics
children and discuss dental developmental issues and answer any questions.
Topics your dentist may discuss with you:
- Good oral hygiene practices for your child’s teeth and gums and cavity protection
- Fluoride needs
- Oral habits (thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, lip sucking)
- Developmental milestones
- Proper Nutrition
a. Schedule of dental check up visits. Many dentists like to see children every 6 months to build up the child’s comfort and confidence level in visiting the dentist, to monitor the development of the teeth, and promptly treat any developing problems.
b. If dental problems exist, discuss adequate treatment options for your child and schedule a treatment appointment.
It’s important to know that the parent or legal guardian that accompanies the child for this first visit will be asked to complete medical and health information forms concerning the child. Come prepared with the necessary information.